CA

tony at radiosouthrc.com tony at radiosouthrc.com
Thu Jun 10 11:07:49 AKDT 2004

Dwayne:
I can only speak for our Radio South hinges...

The Dacron on our hinge is laminated to the Mylar with a special
heat/adhesive process.  This makes the finish on the hinge very smooth.
This also removes any frayed threads.  Now when you apply the glue, it will
move wick into the balsa.  It will not run the other way...  Once the
control surface hinges are glue in, this will effectively seal the hinge so
that no further glue will penetrate.  Now when you install on the model and
apply glue the second time, the CA will wick the other direction into the
new balsa, until it also is saturated and cures.

Using this system assures you of adequate glue application for your
particular density of wood.  Soft wood will accept more CA than harder
woods.

A good test is to glue up some hinges into scrap balsa, let cure, then rip
them out with pliers....  When you have learned how to apply the glue, you
will find wood fibers attached all the way down the hinge!  You can't get
any better than that!

Tony Stillman
Radio South
3702 N. Pace Blvd.