More Webra problems

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Sat Jul 31 23:48:13 AKDT 2004

More Webra problemsGordon,

Sorry to hear your frustration is continuing.

In response to your initial email regarding your troubles with the Webra I listed several things to try and asked several questions to try and further diagnose your problem. However, the only response I saw was that you'd changed the glow plug to an OS-F plug and you believed that had solved the problem. Have you made any of the other recommended changes?

Honestly, I was pretty skeptical when you said you had fixed the problem with the changed glow plug and slight carb adjustments.

What Mike states about the engine being very powerful is true if you get it setup correctly. Unlike Mike though I've not found it necessary to change the pump and I fly in Texas where it gets over 100 deg.

Rarely do I attend a contest where someone doesn't come up and ask what engine I'm running, when I tell them Webra they're always surprised. In fact, at NATS another frustrated Webra owner commented that he wished he had vertical performance like mine and he was curious what engine I was running, when he heard I had a Webra he was shocked and stated that he'd never see performance out of his like mine. Furthermore, he had already had one or two flameouts in previous rounds. Between Lance, Gray and I we convinced him to reduce the pump pressure. I helped him make the change in about 10 minutes (including removing and replacing his cowl). This immediately improved his idle and eliminated his dead stick problems. This may not be your problem, but my point is that setup correctly the engine is very reliable and very powerful (not to mention cheaper than the other options).

If you'd like to respond to my initial questions I'd be glad to do what I can to help you work through the problems if you're still interested, or you could take Jerry's very generous offer and have him test it for you. I think it would be a shame if you changed to a different pump before at least trying to adjust to the pump pressure on the Webra.

Whatever you decide, best of luck and I hope you start getting more time in the air and landing under power.

Keith Black