Creative Nose Ring Mounting?

Norman Ellis nxmxellis at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 31 10:16:36 AKDT 2004

This is in the idea category, not solution since I
haven't done it yet. I've been thinking of a tripod or
tetrapod of CF tubes, 4-40 studs black CAed into the
ends, aluminum tube collar at each end to discourage
splitting; nose-ring mounting plate nibbled out from
light gauge aluminum sheet, which is cut to triangular
or square outline, with tabs at the corners or apices,
tabs bent  perpendicular to the axis of the tube,
drilled out for the 4-40 studs to slip through,
fastened with nuts & lockwashers.

Firewall anchor points would be tee-nuts fastened to
small (maybe 5/8" square) piece of plywood, plywood
epoxied to sort of a shim/foot piece of probably pine,
cut from end of a 5/8" sq stick, angle cut to match
axis of CF tube to firewall.  Probably mix cabosil
into epoxy when fixing feet to firewall, just to keep
it from creeping out while curing. Maybe tack in a
couple brads to keep the feet from spreading.

Trouble with putting this on an ARF is it would be a
lot easier to do with a loose firewall before it's
mounted on the model. I suppose you could jig up the
fuselage to fix the firewall in a horizontal plane.
That begins to sound like a lot of work. I'd like to
know if a simpler solution is available. --Norm Ellis

http://mail.yahoo.com