F3A Landing Sequence

Troy Newman troy_newman at msn.com
Fri Jul 30 12:22:08 AKDT 2004

score is zero!

If the model doesn't follow the landing sequence per the rules.

"Landing sequence:  At reduced power, execute a 180 degree level or descending turn within the aerobatic zone to a downwind heading. Fly a downwind leg, with the model upright. When Approximately over the downwind marker, turn 180 degrees toward the runway, and fly a descending approach to the runway, touching down in the landing zone. Landing Sequence is complete when the model aircraft has either rolled 10meters or comes to rest if within 10m

Judging notes:
* model aircraft does not follow landing sequence, zero points.
* Turns which are not either level or descending will be cause for awarding a zero score for landing.
* If any landing gear leg retracts on landing, zero points
* If the model aircraft lands anywhere outside the landing zone before the landing is completed, zero points. The landing zone is designated by a circle of 50m radius or lines across a standard runway spaced 100meters apart where the runway is at least 10m wide
* Only two scores, a zero or a ten, may be awarded for landing sequence
"

Some notes on this 50meters is 164ft...so the landing zone in F3A is 328 feet long and the width of the runway as long as the runways is at least 10m or 32ft wide.

Another note is that the rule doesn't say that once descending you have to keep descending....it says level or descending turns at reduced power. Per the rules you could climb in the downwind leg as long as the model is upright...you just can't in the turns climb in the turns.

This discussion is going to be very relevant as the new AMA rules for next year eliminated Takeoff and landing scores...and yet there is no direction from above as to the proper t.o. or landing procedure....I guess if the models takes off its a 10 and if it hits the runway and nothing falls off or folds up its a 10.

My opinion is AMA should adopt a sequence that is required similar to F3A. Perhaps the contest board and NSRCA should address this issue before the rule book is printed?

Troy