Cable Setup Re-Discovery

Bob Pastorello rcaerobob at cox.net
Sat Jul 17 16:52:29 AKDT 2004

For the ten of us who AREN'T at the Nats, I thought I'd share a re-discovery.  Still trimming on the Aries, and seemed to have differences in inverted snap recoveries from upright, and hard inverted pushes were rolling and not "feeling" the same as equally-hard Upright pulls...
    So - today - did some pretty serious measuring on the cable setup on the elevators....here's what I found...(reminded me of the last time I discovered this circa 1997-8)
    1.  Cable tension was different on each cable during the transition of rotation of the servo, particularly near the full deflection endpoints.  I *think* this is part due to a horizontal servo arm, rather than vertical, but not sure.  Anyway...
    2.  At parts of the rotation/deflection, the cables were being pulled against the rear edges of the cable guides.  Although they are exactly where the plans/instructions refer to, they weren't long enough slots to permit the cable to be under constant, direct tension to the servo arm.  Last time I fought this, it was showing up the same place - snap recoveries and hard pushes....

After getting this all handled, all the cables are at least under the same tension, and the changes in the exit guide length did affect the total deflection tension....it was an interesting re-discovery.

Tomorrow I'll find out if it was all in my imagination.
If anyone has similar experience to recall and share, I would appreciate the validation!

Bob Pastorello
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net