Webra Pump and Symptoms

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Jul 1 18:31:16 AKDT 2004

Randy, if you have owned the engine for less that two years,  you might
consider sending the engine back to Horizon and talk with Tom Jackson, their engine
guy, about the symptoms. Chances are pretty good that you will get a new pump
under warranty. The new pumps seem to work fine.

One more thing--do not overlook failed glow plugs as a source of trouble.
They may light fine with the battery and may even start the engine. BUT..........

Assuming it was running great just a flight ago, symptoms I have seen where
the plug goes North for the Winter are: engine sounds rich and burbles as the
throttle is advanced. Power is down and engine sounds like it's 4 cycling rich
at full throttle, but little smoke is exhausted; more like raw fuel coming out
of the pipe. The needle is leaned in response and the engine runs for a bit
and dies very hot; you can smell the sizzling oil. Then it will only run when
the plug is lighted continuously with the battery. A few runs like that can
kill the bearing

I use the OS type F in the Webra 145 and once replaced, needle needs to go
back to the original settings pronto or it dies lean.

Brian's ran with the Perry pump as well as mine does with the stock pump. He
lost absolutely nothing with the Perry pump and stock TN carb. This is without
a doubt an option worth much consideration if the stock pumps are giving
trouble. Very good midrange also.

MattK