Artistic Aerobatics suggestions

Peter Pennisi pentagon.systems at bigpond.com
Mon Jan 26 13:00:03 AKST 2004

Allan,

I am not sure if I have misunderstood the context of your email.

I fly pattern in Australia in the FAI class. I am fast approaching my
forties and have been involved in pattern on and off for the past 23 years.
My longest break was for 12 years. Anyway I have flown pattern in the
pre-turnaround days. IMHO the best thing that ever happened to pattern was
change to turnaround.

Pattern has not died because the manoeuvres are too difficult or pattern has
become too expensive. Pattern is competing against a lot of other hobbies to
try and maintain a certain level of popularity. 20 years ago we never had
helicopters which are as reliable and relatively inexpensive as today. We
never dreamt about 3D flying as it is know today, nor did we have to huge
interest in electric parkflyers and 3D aircraft we are currently seeing. Add
cable TV, Xboxes, Play stations and game-boys etc you can see what is
happening.

I don't think pattern is any more expensive than it was 20 years ago either
when you take into account inflation and what your dollar buys today. In
some ways I think modelling today is better value because the equipment is
so much better.

Thinking that the old timers is going to change things is a statement I
don't totally agree with. We must all move on and enjoy what we are doing at
a club level. If the newcomers to a club can see how much fun you are having
they may feel inclined to give it a go. The best promotion I can give this
hobby is to give fellow club members a fly on my current 2m F3A models. Once
they have a taste there usually hooked.

No pun intended

Just my thoughts

PP