YS 110

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Mon Jan 26 09:30:35 AKST 2004

Hello Alfredo,
Almost all properly broken-in ringed engines will have better compression when turned clockwise, by hand, rather than in the running direction. This is because of the "piston rock" which is due to the piston skirt-to-liner clearance and connecting rod angle. The running surfaces of the piston ring wear into the walls of the liner, best during the power stroke. When you flip the engine "backwards" the connecting rod is angled the same way, and the ring seats properly. The tighter the piston skirt-to-liner fit is, the less this is apparent.
Regards,
	Dean Pappas