Fw: Incidence Meter Question-Finite number

ronlock ronlock at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 13:13:37 AKST 2004

The finite number is in reference to some other surface on the plane, or to a defined line
on the plane.  For instance, on a Focus 1, the forward part of the bottom of fuse is
considered zero degrees per the plans.  The wing is shown at zero degrees, and stab
at negative 1/4 degree.

Put fuse on a table, and shim the fuse to get zero degrees on forward bottom of fuse
if it is a Focus 1 (which makes things real easy).   Or shim fuse to get zero at
whatever defined line is specified for the particluar plane.

((Side note- this is the point where meter bias, if any, is compensated for.
You set a zero line with the specific meter, and then use same meter to set the
other angles.   Working from the same side of the meter isn't necessary, if you
swap 180 and verify that there is no difference.))

Then reading meter from same side, adjust to get the prescribed angle (zero for Focus 1)
on both wing panels.   Also adjust stab to get the precscribed angle, (neg 1/4 for Focus 1)

Something to keep in mind - all these meter measurements are of course dependent on exactly
where the meter mounting system is attached to the surface, and assumes the surface is perfectly
uniform.   On solid (foam/balsa) surfaces that were built straight to start with, and sanded with only long
sanding bars, they are likely pretty good.   Maybe not perfect?  I take angle measurements at several
places along the surfaces to verify consistency.   (All from same side of meter, since I know my
meter is about 1/2 degree different side to side)   Another item, check that the mechanical
attachments to the surfaces result in the same angle readings, as the mechanical reference
points you may use to establish zero at the planes reference line.

Hope that helps,
Ron Lockhart