Artistic Aerobatics

Verne Koester verne at twmi.rr.com
Sat Jan 24 21:53:22 AKST 2004

Bill,
The schedules are designed to be building blocks. To varying degrees of success, this has always been the case. When you're designing a set of schedules, you have to consider where somebody is coming from first and then develop maneuvers that will reasonably transition the pilot from that point to the next level of difficulty. FAI and Masters pilots have pretty much dominated the development of these schedules for the 20 years or so I've been in pattern and for good reason - experience. Somebody who's come up through the process probably has a better idea of what's needed, been to more contests and seen a wider variety of skill levels within the various classes, and has his/her own experiences to reference in what made them a better pilot than somebody relatively new to the game. This is not meant to be demeaning to anyone so please don't take it as such. When I was working my way up through the ranks, I have no doubt that FAI and Masters pilots knew way more than I what types of maneuvers I needed to see to advance than I did. The lessons they provided worked well enough for me to make me reasonably competitive in Masters today.

The trick to all of this is to learn the lessons at each level. When you've learned what's there and start getting bored with it, move up. That's how it's designed. Others may take longer than you and others may zip through with apparent ease. That's okay. The very best schedules accommodate all of these needs. Most people won't point out before they should move up and that's all designed into the system as well. While it might be easy for one pilot to deal with a 45 down snap at the second level, it may very well drive a good many pilots out of the game. This system of developing schedules is somewhat of a patriarchal approach, but it needs to be that way. There are plenty of lessons to be learned in Intermediate as it exists and my personal opinion based on my own experience as well as what I've seen and judged is that it's just about right. I also think Advanced is a bit much for someone coming out of Intermediate, but that's a whole separate argument.

Verne Koester