OS 1.60 FX props

Xavier Mouraux xavier.mouraux at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 24 21:35:10 AKST 2004

Hello Robert,

I understand your concerns as they were mine also for a long time. I always thought the OS would not look right in the Hydeout. However, after seeing Eric's reports, I start looking into it. Other reasons are that I already have the OS in a Nova that I don't fly anymore and I want more power than the YS120AC in my Hydeout to fly FAI.

I compared the complete engine-header-pipe-prop combo for my YS140L, YS120AC, OS160FX and ST2300 for weight and performance. The extra weight of the OS setup over the 120AC I was flying in 2003 is only 1oz or less than 1% of the plane's weight. The power available is more around 20-25% more. I also plan on moving some equipment in the plane to eliminate the tail weight I had and the overall weight may be the same as last year. The wing loading is only 3% more than with the 140L setup, and only .8% over the 120AC. I may have to fly half throttle most of the time to avoid going to orbit, but there will be plenty of power for the humpty bump with 3 half roll. The fuel consumption is higher but I was always landing with too much fuel left in the tank anyway. Other good point is that it will run on 10-15%.

All this make me believe it would work. My last concern is about ground clearance and the 3 blade maybe a solution. I will recheck the clearance. Maybe that larger wheels would be enough.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks to the others who answered about the prop, the voltage tester and the old planes. I knew I would get the info I needed.

Xavier