Artistic Aerobatics

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Fri Jan 23 09:40:55 AKST 2004

Adam, I couldn't agree more!
The battle cry that, "We need to make Pattern more spectator-friendly!" has always been with us.
The problem is that it is in the nature of this event to have a limited appeal.
The change to larger two-meter ships was, at least in part, driven by the conviction that larger airplanes and better visibility would make the event more engaging, to a spectator. I seem to remember this language from a copy of the original "no engine displacement limit" proposal that Ron Chidgey showed me, as written by a British member of the Technical Sub-Committee. I don't remember the man's name, but this was in the mid or late eighties!

An event based on discipline and patience (but that does not involve an imminent wreck or bodily danger!) will never please the "crowd". We are lunatic fringe, and we should rejoice in that fact ... and I believe that it's only in our weak moments, that we feel the need for validation by the non-involved masses. Besides that, the lunatic fringe is the only place that isn't boring!

Heck, my own moderate success level, in the eighties would have made me rich, had I put that same effort into Bowling!

a perplexed Pattern apostle,
	Dean P.