mass opinions

Rodney Tanner rodney19821982 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 19:53:16 AKST 2004

A good string here. . . . .
Just a word of thanks to all the inveterate tinkerers and tuners out there who have helped me to understand and use the equipment to its potential. Like yourself Eric, Dean P. Troy A, Tony S. and all the many others who have filled out data on Ed Hartley´s 2 stroke web site and all the people who contribute here and in the K- Factor, on pattern design, building projects, flying the schedules and equipment tests.
I have been using OS 140RXs for nearly 5 years. Changing things as I read about other peoples experiences and ideas. Now I know that a 140 RX, with a Mintor head, a Macs header and a Bolly muffler will turn a 17x12 at 7,600, nice and smooth right through the midrange, on Powermaster 15/18, it does so Sunday after Sunday. I also know that´s were I am going to stay for while, before going to pipes and carbs to find another 400 RPM. I know the ring and bearing on the first engine will need to be changed soon and, after all I have read here on the subject, that will not be a problem.

I have attended a couple of Somenzini seminars over the years and sponsored pilot or not, he did´nt  bang on too much about equipment. But he had plenty to say about the basics of Pattern flying: build light, build straight, no slop, check everything, spend a lot of time learning to trim the plane,  burn fuel and practice, watch the good pilots and practice some more, always know what you need to work on and work on it. He watched me fly a number of times, over a couple of years and each time he said the same thing. ¨Good. Keep your wings level, use less power and use the rudder more¨. Good advise. I start with that every time I fly and it gets better and better.

Rodney
NSRCA 2906

"Henderson,Eric" <Eric.Henderson at gartner.com> wrote:My observation is that the sponsored pilots get lots of spares. What this means is that you only see the working stuff when they fly. Not that this is all bad. They are on the bleeding-edge (not a miss-type). The time and effort that they put in often gives us a better product. A good example being Chip and the YS 1.40 and 1.60 DZ's. I am sure he cooked a few. He had prototypes with blanking plates on old regulator openings etc, But we got new crankcases and production product that was viable. The OS EFI "explorers" got us better injectors so who cares if they had eight of them stripped and spread around their hotel room.

What I care most about is when the stuff gets too complex and only the "few" can get them to work. There is an unseen line between plug'n'play products that you take out of the box ready to use, and those that require most our skill and knowledge to make viable. Where that line is often depends upon the pioneers we all sponsor..

Regards,

Eric.