mas opinions

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Thu Jan 22 06:16:15 AKST 2004

Anthony

What Jason did is not what the normal sponsored pilot does. Most sponsored pilots are flying the most expensive status quo, taking minimal
chances, devloping nothing and flying that particular equipment because it
is free or reduced in cost. I do not blame them...I would love for someone
to give me a case of servos. Those guys fly new servos every year or less.
Can you afford that? The main point is for someone NOT at their flying
skill (that is the REST of us) you absolutely do not need that 1.4 or 1.6
DZ to win.
You even stated how much power a plane you test flew had. There are
several engines that can give you that at half the price of the 1.6 DZ.
The qualities offerd by this 1.6DZ other than top RPM at this high  price
are not utilized by the Intermediate, Advanced or even some Masters
pilots.
The 402 and 403 guys would be better off investing that excess cash in a
cheaper rig and fuel-even though there may not be a sponsored pilot flying
that set up.
Sorry for beating this into the ground and I know that sponsorship sells
equipment...For me I do not take such bait, but I do listen to others
opinions and make decisions based on what I hear-repeatably. But even that
can be a quagmire as a lot of people simply repeat what the heard as fact,
and during a conversation over a beer ( D6 requirement) it is tough to
separate fact from fiction.

This thread ends for me as it started-if you are a newer guy please do not
think that you need this huge budget for all this sponsored pilot gear to
get into and improve at flying pattern.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering