YS DZ160s... OS-160 EFI

Henderson,Eric Eric.Henderson at gartner.com
Thu Jan 22 05:15:04 AKST 2004

I hesitated to answer this question for several reasons. Power can be measured in several ways. The delivery of the power is greatly influenced by the prop selection and the fuel used. The power at full throttle is not really what we need. What we get in the mid range is more important to flying a smooth, constant speed pattern.

Taking on top end power first. I know you guys like lots of data, so my information comes form the following. All of my OS 1.60's used the long ES 1.40 pipe and Karl Mueller headers. The FX's (four of them) were run with perry pumps and then cline regulators. Two 1.60 FI's were also run in the same planes (Focus-1 and Temptation). Fuel was Powermaster 15/16.

Even though the carb and fuel injector are different systems the top end was the same. On the ground and in the air. Some days I swapped in an FI just to see if there was a difference in the same climatic conditions. Running a 17 x 13 APC the engines were the same.

Mid-range performance is different due to the ability of the FI to allow you adjust the mid-range. The 1.60 FX performs best if the top end is set slightly rich. It handles the verticals best if set this way. The FI can be set right on the money. This gives a fraction more vertical. With the FX set rich the mid range is a little soft. The FI lets you get it just right.

So the power can be the same but in practice there is a difference.

Regards,

Eric.