mas opinions

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Wed Jan 21 20:49:28 AKST 2004

> Point #2 is that anyone who buys equipment ONLY because they saw a sponsored pilot do well with it is headed for a disappointment.

It is very true that if someone buys a product used by one of the top pilots and expects that will automatically make them a champion then that person will be disappointed. Hard work and talent are what make champions. However, I not sure most people really feel it will make them champions as much as it's a confirmation that the product is "good enough" for, or even, "preferred by" the champs. So if I'm unsure what motor to buy and I take a survey of the top three Masters and FAI finishers at NATS and the World Champs and find that 90% of them are flying a DZ then I know that by getting the DZ I'm going to have an engine that's capable of top level performance. I know that it won't immediately make me a winner, but I also know that at least my engine won't be a handicap (other than to my wallet).

Reference selling is one of the most powerful and effective forms of advertising there is, whether it's pattern equipment, camera equipment, software, or any other product. I think manufactures are very wise to sponsored pilots and there's no doubt in my mind that doing so sells a lot of product for them. And when Mike Harrison wins FAI at NATS with the new Symphony, you'll see just how much people immulate the top pilots! ;-)

Keith Black