mas opinions

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Wed Jan 21 14:08:51 AKST 2004

Anthony

Considering Jason's use of electrics....regardless of sponsorship, he knew
alot about that rig going into the worlds....alot more than the people
second guessing him.  Problem here is that most that will rush out to  buy
an electric rig ain't going from 10th to 1st, and if they do it will most
likely be due to flying time.
As far as the engine situation goes I have seen local and at the NATs the
following engines run flawlessly

OS 1.4 RX
OS 1.4 EFI
Mintor 1.7
OS 1.60
YS 1.4L
YS 1.4 DZ
YS 1.60 DZ
Webra 1.45

As far as the engine situation goes I have seen local and at the NATs the
following engines run like crap...
OS 1.4 RX
OS 1.4 EFI
Mintor 1.7
OS 1.60
YS 1.4L
YS 1.4 DZ
YS 1.60 DZ
Webra 1.45

The point being they all run good they all run bad, and they have lots of
power- sponsored non sponsored, same with the radios.
Point #2 is that anyone who buys equipment ONLY because they saw a
sponsored pilot do well with it is headed for a disappointment.

I think information about what the sponsored pilots are using is valuable.
There is a reason everyone is curious about what equipment the winners use
at the Nats. You have to remember that in most cases sponsored pilots were
great pilots and fierce competitors before they became "company
ambassadors". I don't know a single one that would sacrifice reliability
for the sponsorship that comes with their level of achievement. That is
not to say that Jason or Chip couldn't beat me in my own class flying a
PT40 ARF with no ailerons, but I'm sure that they don't want to be
wondering about a flame out or a glich flying against some of the best
pilots in the world. On some levels and as much as my budget will allow, I
try to emulate those who have had success doing what I want to do. Before
the worlds no one even considered flying an electric in FAI (thanks
Jason). There was even grumblings that he was risking a possibl! e team
victory with his actions. Now there are many people including some on this
list who are keeping a close eye on the technology and the prices. I think
it is inaccurate to say that the equipment that the sponsored, which
implies winning, pilots use does not at least influence sales.

Anthony
P.S. I have flown a two meter pattern plane with a YS140 DZ, I flew across
straight and level at about half throttle, pulled verticle and went to
full power. I blinked and before I knew it I had nearly punched a whole in
the ozone layer. This leads my simple mind to a question. How much power
is enough? I plan on flying an OS 140RX this year and if it has as much as
or more power than a DZ140 I will be a little concerned.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering