DZ160s-and others-opinions-opinions

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 21 12:55:57 AKST 2004

I think information about what the sponsored pilots are using is valuable. There is a reason everyone is curious about what equipment the winners use at the Nats. You have to remember that in most cases sponsored pilots were great pilots and fierce competitors before they became "company ambassadors". I don't know a single one that would sacrifice reliability for the sponsorship that comes with their level of achievement. That is not to say that Jason or Chip couldn't beat me in my own class flying a PT40 ARF with no ailerons, but I'm sure that they don't want to be wondering about a flame out or a glich flying against some of the best pilots in the world. On some levels and as much as my budget will allow, I try to emulate those who have had success doing what I want to do. Before the worlds no one even considered flying an electric in FAI (thanks Jason). There was even grumblings that he was risking a possible team victory with his actions. Now there are many people including some
 on this list who are keeping a close eye on the technology and the prices. I think it is inaccurate to say that the equipment that the sponsored, which implies winning, pilots use does not at least influence sales.

Anthony
P.S. I have flown a two meter pattern plane with a YS140 DZ, I flew across straight and level at about half throttle, pulled verticle and went to full power. I blinked and before I knew it I had nearly punched a whole in the ozone layer. This leads my simple mind to a question. How much power is enough? I plan on flying an OS 140RX this year and if it has as much as or more power than a DZ140 I will be a little concerned.

I too have seen the same thing. Especially radio equipment. JR still has the best servos. Terry