Formosa batteries

JonLowe at aol.com JonLowe at aol.com
Mon Jan 19 15:44:41 AKST 2004

Saw two of them at the RCACF field in Orlando over the holidays.  Both had
the following:

Himax 2500-4200 brushless motor mated to the GWS gearbox, 5.33:1 ratio.  They
bolt right up to the GWS gearbox. Matching speed controller (didn't get the
make/model)

2100mah Thunderpower LiPolymer cells (3 cell pack, if I recall properly)

11x7 APC slowfly prop.

With this combo they would go straight up for ever, and flew for over 20
minutes.  They flew very well, even in a 5 to 10 mph wind.  They flew well enough
that I've been considering building one to practice pattern at a school yard
near me.  They could do any manuever asked of them, and both flyers loved them.
 They had to tie down the canopy with a fastener as the stock magnet holder
wouldn't hold at the speeds and manuever range they could fly at.

The both had bought the slope glider version that comes without the motor and
gearbox since they weren't going to use the stock motor.  The kit that way is
about $35!  The gear box is about $15 as I recall.

Jon Lowe