Anyone else? Scam or Not?

Anthony Abdullah aabdu at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 15 12:26:37 AKST 2004

Larry, I bet the guy you built a boat for was glad to have it and probably had a ball. What would you have thought if he said "I don't like the little boat you built me, I'm used to the turbine powered Miss Budwiser boat and that is all I want to run". We have a 14 year old kid at my field that crashed his durabat (real real hard) and between the experienced flyers we had him back in the air in a week with a donated trainer, servos, and an extra OS 40 FP that I had lying around. To me that makes sense. I know poor people and people who have suffered tragedy, they usually despense with the pride and are grateful for whatever they get. It sounds highly unlikely that they would be so bold as to request, even humbly, a giant scale IMAC style performance airplane with all the fixins. Again, there is a chance it is legit and Jason will ultimately decide how he wants to handle it, but it still reeks of scam. I believe in introducing as many people as I can to the hobby, and I have taken
 scores of poor kids from my neighborhood out flying and will continue to do so. Unfortunately there is an element in our society that seeks to profit from personal and nationwide tragedy. Just look at the 9-11 after math, they came out of the woodwork.

Larry Diamond <jed241 at msn.com> wrote:Jason,

I've read the reply's so far on the list, but here's my two cents:

It's either a scam or it's real. You are a celebrity in the RC world and suspect that folks like you get a number of this type request in one form or another.

A couple of things you can do if you so desire:

1) Contact the AMA and try to verify the identity of such a person. If he exist, you can contact him directly or have a friend in the area verify his story. If it's founded you have a couple of options;
    A) Ignore it and go on. (If this is what you would do, it might be best to not respond at all).
    B) Try to help this individual through your sponsors.

2) If you can't verify his story, it's a scam. Since it's through the Internet, I would be willing to bet it's unlawful solicitation and should be turned over to authorities.

None-the-less I would not try to help him with personal resources.

I get allot of scam messages at work. Allot of people have my work e-mail address. As a marketing tool, I suspect some company's sell the contact information. Like it was mentioned in previous post, it's mostly about someone from Africa wanting money to get them out of poverty.

The reason I'm offering this opinion is that I was confronted years ago at a local field in person in the mid-80's. He was struck with MS the year before and was in a wheel chair. I decided to build an RC boat for him because it was beyond his physical ability. We became good friends.

I'm virtually an unknown to most on this discussion group and in RC. I thought your e-mail was worth responding to with a positive tone. A surprise to most is that I have a soft side for this kind of stuff. Again, the risk is it's a scam. However, if it isn't this guy has selected you for assistance.

Let your conscience be your guide.

Larry Diamond
NSRCA 3083
AMA 5024