Sideways engine?

Dean Pappas d.pappas at kodeos.com
Thu Jan 15 06:58:29 AKST 2004

True, the plane should be balanced in both first and second moments. That means dynamically and statically balanced. If you need to do this, then estimate the uncentered weight and how far it is from the model's centerline. In the case of a side-mounted 160, it's probably only 5 or 6 ounces, centered about 3-1/2"from the CL. So put all the servos and battery against the left wall of the fuse, and take any remainder out with a tiny bit of tip weight. Oh yeah, the snaps are one place I would not expect to feel the dynamic imbalance effect. I would expect to feel it in the transitions from positive to negative "G", like a figure eight, or in hard square corners.
It's not that bad ...
Dean P.