TEST- now motor mount Poll

Ed Miller edbon85 at optonline.net
Sat Jan 3 05:25:58 AKST 2004

Center and "snubber bolt" size is 10-32 stainless steel with aluminum nylon lock nuts and aluminum washers. The engine hold down bolts are 6-32 steel with steel washers. The Rotomount in my EMC complete with all hardware, snubber block, lightly coated with epoxy and painted black was 2.6 ounces. My clayton foster nose ring with 2 4-40  aluminum bolts and blind nuts and lite ply mounting ring with lightening holes was just under an ounce. So the total engine mounting assembly including everything except firewall was 3.5 ounces. Firewall is 1/8" lite ply. The mount is constructed of maple beams tapered and pared down to hold the engine and the beams are glued to a 3/8'' plywood disc that has been lightened. The snubber and center bolts are surrounded by silicone tubing of 2 different outside diameters.
When I was building my EMC I was looking at every piece that went into it to ensure I would make the 11lb weight limit, plane ready to fly came out at 4861 grams or 10 lbs 11 oz. As a side note, I saved 24 grams in hardware but using either aluminum or stainless steel throughout the plane. One good thing about the rotomount is you don't get the slight side to side movement at the back of the engine that you do with the Hyde mount. Yeah, it takes some work and we seem to be in an era of buy and fly but with a little time and creativity, it can be done. Bob Pastorello has an excellent soft mount also.