receiver antenna placement

EHaury at aol.com EHaury at aol.com
Wed Feb 25 07:01:39 AKST 2004

Wayne

I've no experience with the full carbon fuse - antenna issue. However, a few
years ago I experienced all sorts of range / glitching problems in an airplane
that had metallic paint, metal cables and other potential points of metal -
metal contacts (landing gear, landing gear door mechanisms, etc.) Running the
antenna through a wing helped a bunch, as it moved the antenna away from noise
generators. The real fix was to wire all metal objects together with a "ground
wire" that was connected to the negative battery lead. Antenna then worked
fine inside the fuse. All this was with an AM receiver on 6-meters.

A similar experience occurred with a different airplane that had a small
fuselage and a lot of servo leads near a good portion of the antenna, range was
nonexistent until moving the antenna to the wing. In this case the receiver was
single conversion FM on 6-meters.

My conclusions were that the metallic paint is not a problem, metal to metal
generated noise is (at lease with AM), and antenna - servo lead proximity can
be.

I've not had any problems with dual-conversion FM on 6-meters with the
antenna inside or outside the fuse, although I maintain a couple of inches
separation between servo leads - cables and the antenna.

Current flights with the Partner haven't demonstrated any issues with the
antenna inside the Kevlar rear of the fuse (as expected), although I've flown
head on trimming stuff that has put the carbon front of the fuse between the
antennae.

Earl