Another servo problem to ponder

Patternrules at aol.com Patternrules at aol.com
Sat Feb 21 17:53:48 AKST 2004

In a message dated 2/21/2004 7:11:48 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
gene.maurice at comcast.net writes:
Please help. I have stripped aileron servo gears FOUR times. At first I
thought it was infant mortality followed by the dumb ass missed a piece of crud in
the servo case. I don’t think that’s what happened

Here’s the setup. The plane is an Aries, JR 8231 servos. Plane and servos are
less than four months old: about 60-70 flights. Right aileron has broken 3
times and the left has broken once (one each today). The breakage has always
been slightly right of center on the output gear. There is no static binding. The
hinge lines are sealed.  I can’t be positive but I believe the gears are
breaking during a down line snap. BTW, I snap to the right. I don’t believe its
flutter because the breakage is NOT at center. I don’t believe its excessive
travel because the breakage is not at the extremes of travel.

Can the initial load of a snap place enough load on an 88 oz. servo to break
a gear? I have used this exact same servo setup in two other planes. I did
break a gear one in one of those planes. Again, I just chalked it up to wear.

Confused and at a loss in Plano.

Gene Maurice
 Gene is your engine soft mounted, and what hinges are you using?

Steve Maxwell