Trim

Karl G. Mueller kgamueller at rogers.com
Fri Feb 13 12:16:05 AKST 2004

Georgie,

One thing you don't want is a "completely neutral" set up. It
will be very hard on the servo gears, especially when it is too
neutral in pitch.
My last years Star had an almost neutral set up in pitch
and it started stripping the gears in the elevator servos.
It took me a little while to arrive at this conclusion since there
wasn't too much left of the plane when this happened the second
time. My suspicions were confirmed after talking to some "Aerodynamics
Experts". Every moveable surface wants to hunt for a neutral position
and if there is no opposite force ( Trim ) to stop it from doing this
you will get a certain amount of oscillation ( flutter ). Having a minute
amount of trim offset puts a slight force from the airflow over it in one
direction and will put a stop to any oscillation. "Completely Neutral"
is not the ideal condition.

Karl G. Mueller
kgamueller at rogers.com