Trim

rcaerobob at cox.net rcaerobob at cox.net
Thu Feb 12 09:05:43 AKST 2004

If your goal is neutral elevator trim, and hands off level flight, then I would agree incidence is going to need to change.  As Jim stated, moving the CG aft would require a "down elevator" trim change (assuming you kept the wing at it's current incidence).  On the relatively-lift-neutral condition of the wing in knife edge, the down elev trim would be "rudder", and should steer to the belly.  If the CG is where you like it, I'd recommend going Positive on the wing, although that change would require resetting elev trim for level flight, so you can get into tail-chasing pretty quickly.

> From: "Nat Penton" <natpenton at centurytel.net>
> Date: 2004/02/12 Thu AM 11:26:03 EST
> To: <discussion at nsrca.org>
> Subject: Trim
>
> For an airplane that goes to the canopy in knife-edge most trim charts say , after adjusting cg , to increase the wing incidence . My " theory " says to decrease the wing incidence. What is your theory/experience ?

Bob Pastorello, El Reno, OK, USA
rcaerobob at cox.net
www.rcaerobats.net