Sitting in the plane or not ?

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 17:43:44 AKST 2004

Eddie,

The loop initially gave me trouble in Sportsman. Here are a couple of things
you might try.

1. Remember when doing the loop that the rudder direction to move you in or
out never changes. Let's say your flying left to right, left rudder will
always move you out and right will always move you in. I don't know why but
it took me a long time to realize this. I think I was worrying too much
about inverted rudder/upright rudder to see the obvious. Your plane never
rolls so the rudder never reverses. Yes, the plane does go inverted but when
it does it reverses directions so the rudder direction doesn't have to
change. When doing the loop just think about the rudder direction as if the
plane is right side up all the time and you'll always be correct.

2. Practice doing LOTS of loops and intentionally move the plane out, in,
out. If the loops start getting off track (pointing in or out) practice
getting them straightened back out while still looping. Realize that you
can't completely control this with just the rudder, you have to continually
work the ailerons to keep it on track. Don't initially worry if it looks
pretty getting it straightened out, just get it straight. Be sure to
practice in both directions.

Keith Black