Sitting in the plane or not ?

ronlock at comcast.net ronlock at comcast.net
Mon Feb 9 05:15:13 AKST 2004

If "sitting in the cockpit" means visualizing the view the
airborne pilot would have - I defintely don't do that.

I watch the model in general- for a constant visual and
cognitive lock on pitch, roll, and yaw.

I also try to watch a big picture that includes the horizon,
box center and box end end comming up.   That's required to
establish size, positioning, and wind correction of maneuvers.
Really prominent box marking, stripes on ground, or large
poles that contrast with background are an obvious help.

Somewhere in here we also need a cognitive lock on airspeed for
aircraft handling characteristics, and ground speed for positioning.

Later,
Ron Lockhart

# discussion-request at nsrca.org