Snap with ailerons question

Paul Horan phoran at vvm.com
Fri Dec 31 09:41:04 AKST 2004

Dave,
    After reading your analysis of snaps I have a question regarding snaps on a friend's HideOut.
    Assuming a positive snap to the left, up elevator is applied followed by left rudder.
The plane does a snap but poor with a lot of "up" displacement and a soft snap.
    Second senario is with more elevator applied very quickly followed bu left rudder.
Plane does a good but very rapid snap with little displacement but the snap is difficult to stop w/o over rotating.
    Third senario done as above with AILERONS REVERSED (rudder left, aileron right) pretty good snap
but still pretty rapid with difficulty stopping w/o over rotating
    Fourth senario done as above with AILERONS NORMAL (rudder and aileron left) snap seems good to pilot
but seems odd to me, can't put my finger on it.  The snap is not as rapid and exit is more manageable.

    My question is if you are snapping I think ailerons should
* if in the direction of the left snap, cause some barrel since the left wing will be up taking it out of the stall
and actually increasing lift on the left while forcing the right wing deeper into the stall by decreasing lift on the right.
Therefore I think Aileron in the direction of the snap is counter productive.

* if opposite the direction of the snap, it will deeply stall the left wing, tighten the snap, and if released before rudder
it should help exit w/o over-rotation.

What do you think,
Thanks,
Paul Horan