Description Re: Snap rolls (MK clipped for repost)

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 16:40:33 AKST 2004

I agree Ed, snaps are not that hard to define. And it isn't hard to  describe
the judging. Several of us (Dean, Dave and Earl to name 3) have tried  to do
exactly that and all have done a pretty good job.

What has been hard, at least the last three times the Snap subject has come
up, is to get consensus. Well, forget consensus, try common ground.

Let's take a different approach and try to add to the existing description.
The existing description includes the following,:
1- starts with definite break in pitch attitude.
2- stalled maneuver
3- tail inscribes cone
4- CG continues on same flight path as prior to entry.
5- there are several rulebook things that will zero the maneuver

Now for some adders:
1- should any displacement in yaw be allowed before downgrading? How much
displacement? Personally I think less than half wingspan (3 feet) is reasonable
buffer. (Forget about design differences in Pattern. It's a thorougbred event
 and designers should have all parameters optimized)
2- how much displacemnt in pitch should be allowed before  downgrading? Again
I think less than half wing span (3 feet) is  reasonable
3- how about snap rate? slower, more graceful vs faster, more  violent snap-
should it be a judged criterion? I believe that fast snaps  and slow snaps
should have equal footing.

Not specifically an adder per se',  what about KFactro for these  maneuver
types, as Ron suggested earlier? Personally, I don't think a change is
warranted but is worth looking into to see where folks stand.

I challenge all who wrote to the earlier thread, to put their creative caps
back on and help nail down the snap's description more definitely. Add to  my
list or start your own. Then lets put it all together and propose it to the
Contest Board. IF it passes, then help spread the word to all who are not
online.

MattK

In a message dated 12/30/2004 1:11:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,