Judging; (was: Displacement during snaps )

Rcmaster199 at aol.com Rcmaster199 at aol.com
Thu Dec 30 06:18:12 AKST 2004

Several years ago, when I returned to Pattern after a 5 year departure, I
had a conversation with Earl about judging; I used to be one who  thought that
"....judging was better when.....". Earl suggested otherwise. I  have since
changed my mind because I have seen for myself

Judging is far better now than it was in the "Good Old Days". "Better"  means
higher "quality", more enlightened due to better definition of the  regs,
more consistent due to multiple mandatory seminars on the subject (for  Nats
attendees), seminars throughout the country by many dedicated to the sport  who
try to preach the same message, a decent teaching video on the subject that
helped many aspiring judges, etc. There are a bunch of reasons.

About the only thing that has remained the same is this: Judging remains a
thankless and necessary job that every one of us must do to the best of his or
her ability. Pattern dies without it. There is no question in my mind that
we will never be able to get everyone to see, understand, remember all the
specific downgrades and generally know everything there is to know about it,
even if we could define absolutely everything. In fact, the more complex the
definition, the lower the degree of retention. We can only try.

Just like flying, practice is an important element and our exposure  will
always be limited in that regard.

MattK

In a message dated 12/30/2004 7:44:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,