Snap Rolls.....are they legitimate/ RE: displacement during snap rolls discussion

White, Chris chris at ssd.fsi.com
Thu Dec 30 05:52:04 AKST 2004

Please excuse me if I'm repeating, or committing a "faux pas" ( I think I spelled that right:) ) ....but I am really interested in hearing opinions to the following:

1) Do snap rolls add or detract from the legitimacy of judging precision aerobatic pilots capabilities?
2) Do snap rolls add to the credibility of precision aerobatics?

I'm new to the game, but a "stalled" maneuver is a maneuver that is not "flown on the wing" .  An overwhelming percentage of the other maneuver segments in our patterns are flown on the wing and are able to be judged accurately and with a minimum of "impression" influence.  Since the Snap Roll it is not "flown" through it is not fully controlled....lack of control indicates somewhat of a wildcard that penalizes capable pilots experiencing a "bad" maneuver.

I have seen many good snap rolls in competition, some done by great pilots, some by new guys.....my question is: Should there be a "wild card" allowance?  Is anyone capable of flying consistent snap rolls that are consistently judgeable to clear and concise requirements?   I believe I'm hearing an overwhelming "NO".  If the answer is no, then maybe they should be removed.

I fly RC pattern because in my opinion it is more graceful and precise in appearance as compared to IMAC.... not that I don't respect IMAC pilots capabilities and enjoy the show.  But, I sometimes I wonder how "Snap Rolls" fit into RC Pattern....and it sounds as if I'm not the only one.   (I like to see snaps....I just feel there are variables beyond the pilots control which penalize inconsistently)  I think a pilot should be judged on control....not inertial physics. (is that a real term????:) )

Just my thoughts and question to the group....respectfully submitted,
Chris

(as a CFII, airshow nut and pattern guy and whatever other credibility I can throw in:) )