Off Topic

Martin X. Moleski, SJ moleski at canisius.edu
Tue Dec 21 06:29:22 AKST 2004

--On Tuesday, December 21, 2004 10:04 AM -0500 Bill Glaze <billglaze at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> Why can't I access the NSRCA web site when I have cookies disabled?

"A cookie is a piece of text that a Web server can store on a user's hard disk. Cookies allow a Web site to store information on a user's machine and later retrieve it. The pieces of information are stored as name-value pairs.

"For example, a Web site might generate a unique ID number for each visitor and store the ID number on each user's machine using a cookie file."
<http://computer.howstuffworks.com/cookie1.htm>

That's what's going on in the area of the site that
requires log-in.  The security software needs to issue
you a permit to gain entry to the protected material.
Every time your computer requests something from that
area, the NSRCA computer checks for the cookie permission
slip.

Cookies wouldn't be necessary in a single-user setup,
as in the old days of the BBS systems.  But there can
be a large number of people all using the site at the
same time.  Cookies help keep the flow straight and
limit the security challenges to one entryway.

						Marty [unpaid] 2874