NSRCA Election process - We need better bylaws?

Grow Pattern pattern4u at comcast.net
Mon Dec 20 15:24:08 AKST 2004

Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 7:14 PM
Subject: NSRCA Election process - we need better bylaws?

This message is to the future board of the NSRCA.

The current bylaws were the first attempt for many years to really overhaul the previous bylaws. The old bylaws were very lacking in many areas. They relied upon experience being passed on from elected member to elected member.

I took all that I had gathered in my years of NSRCA service and took a crack at producing new ones. Admittedly it was a bit of a solo effort and, despite a voting process that was involved, it is becoming clear that they could do with some more inspection.

I have monitored their use and usefulness. I think that they need another go around to address weaknesses in process and to address 21st technology capabilities. I would suggest that our future board form a Bylaws sub-committee, The BSC needs to go over what we have, recommend changes and update the bylaws as per the bylaw process.

I can think of quite a few changes that need to made after this last election cycle and before District-VP elections hit us in November/December 2005. I also think that it needs to be someone with a passion for this stuff, other than myself. Some of you out there showed high degrees of interest and would be great candidates for the task.

The bylaws should make it possible for succession to take place smoothly and make it easy to handle process and procedural issues without having to reinvent the wheel every time.

Regards,

Eric.

ARTICLE VIII  - ELECTIONS, SELECTIONS AND TERM OF OFFICE.

Section 1 - Vacancies
a. Candidates for office will be researched and proposed by a Chairperson
and/or committee selected by the President of the NSRCA. This Chairperson
or Committee will be comprised of a member or members of the NSRCA who
are not currently serving as elected or selected board members of the NSRCA.

Section 2 - Executive Officers

a. Executive officers shall hold office for two years from date of
installation, and until their successors are elected.

b. Executive officers shall be elected in the fall of even numbered
years.

c. Ballots are to be mailed out to the voting eligible NSRCA membership, wherever possible by the end of November of the election year.

d. Closing date for ballot acceptance is DEC 31 for all election voting.
All votes must have a postal date no later than December 31 and be
received 10 calendar days thereafter.

e. A third party to the NSRCA such as an external audit group of the AMA
should count all votes.