Growing Pattern

Michael Laggis fishgod at pobox.mtaonline.net
Tue Dec 14 05:22:48 AKST 2004

Pattern to me is a philosophy and it takes a certain breed of person to become addicted to pattern.  Most people won't like the repetition and mind set that it takes to progress in pattern.  I see a pattern flyer being a person that is on the quest for the perfect maneuver in all weather conditions. The plane has gone through days if not weeks of trim flights. The equipment is checked and double checked. Hours are spent practicing the individual maneuvers to get them symmetrical and constant speed. Then there are hours spent putting all maneuvers together to make the perfect sequence.

I don't believe that pattern flying will ever be as big as scale aerobatics and 3D flying. I believe that to grow our organization we need to relay to non members what benefit pattern flying is to all other aspects of competition flying. I do not believe that it is a coincidence that the best Scale Aerobatic/3D pilots in the world started out in pattern and became the top F3A pilots in the world first. To grow the membership each of us have to be looking for that club member at the field that is trying to figure it out by themselves. We need to take them under our wing and help them. If they are a pattern oriented person then they to will become addicted, If they are not, they will go away saying "Those pattern flyers are nice people" and have fun in other aspects of the hobby

Michael Laggis
AKA Moose Boy
NSRCA 3618
http://www.alaskarc.org