TBLP

Derek Koopowitz derekkoopowitz at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 16:35:34 AKST 2004

It's a matter of semantics, Bill.  I say potato... you say potato.  I don't
view TBL (or TBLP) as a judge rating mechanism - never have, never will...
and I wrote the scoring program, and I'm very familiar with the calculations
used and I totally agree with it, BTW.  I see it as a fair way to rate
pilots without allowing for judging bias to enter into the equation.
High/low discard does the same thing except it discriminates against all
judges if they are the high/low score - 5 judges scored - only 3 judges are
used - 40% of the scores are discarded.  TBL(P) takes care of that problem
and thus fewer judges scores are actually dropped.  Again, this is a moot
point because:

1.  TBL is not in use in pattern competition in the US
2.  TBL is not being used to evaluate the judges (as was inferred by Eric H.
in a prior email)

  _____