YS 1.40 Sport

Hotrod34a at aol.com Hotrod34a at aol.com
Sun Aug 22 18:37:36 AKDT 2004

Troy,
    I have three 1.40 Sports and all three of  them have required this
modification.  Buddy Brammer has two and Ray Rhodes  has 1 and all of theirs has
required this modification also.  The problem  does not show up until the engine
has broken in and requires less fuel.   Since the Sport has the "L" carb on
it, which requires more fuel at idle, mid  range, and at full throttle, there
in-lies the problem.  The Sport requires  less fuel at idle and at midrange than
the "L" and is loading up at the idle no  matter how far out you adjust the
low end screw.  By opening up the hole to  1/8 inch, you effectilvely lean the
mixture at low end because after enlarging  the hole, the engine will idle
faster causing you to re-adjust your low end  travel point, meaning that you
close the carb more, meaning less fuel being  mixed with the same air being taken
in by the carb.  I talked extensively  with Richard about this problem, and as
he assured, the engine purrs at idle  better than any YS I have ever owned
after the modification. As I  mentioned, we are 6 for 6 here in our area, and I
talked to several people at  the Nats that had the same symptoms, and they
were really happy to find a  resolution to the problem.  My thinkling is that if
you have one that does  not need the modification, then you have one that is
using a lot more fuel than  the normal Sport for what ever reason.  Our Sports
are turning a 16x11 8700  to 8800 rpms (static) on average.  Ray's turns a
little less than my three  and Buddy's two.  Just my two cents  worth...Larry