Hopper Tank

Karl G. Mueller kgamueller at rogers.com
Sat Aug 14 06:43:40 AKDT 2004

Nat,

Your right about the 2 columns of fluid when going vertical using a hopper tank
which should reduce the pressure at the carburetor.
But don't forget about  the pressure supporting the 2 columns either from
crankcase or pipe pressure. This is what makes it a more constant pressure
at the carburetor, whether the plane is in a horizontal or vertical attitude. "G"
forces also increase when going vertical and the pressure in the main tank
will support these as well. It works very well. I would not run any setup in a
pattern ship without a hopper tank.
Setting up a hopper tank is not as complicated as it sounds. It is not a cure
for fuel foaming. This has to be done by isolating both tanks from engine
vibration.
No Voodoo involved here !!!

Karl G. Mueller
kgamueller at rogers.com