Fuel foaming

jivey61 at bellsouth.net jivey61 at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 13 13:54:05 AKDT 2004

> Richard
 I just experienced a problem that will be of interest to all.A friend spotted bubbles so small, in my DZ fuel line, that I couldn't see them. At the nats my plane noise checked at 92 when most all  others were 89-90. Mine was also loud to the ear( like bark).  When I figured out what was happening to cause both of these problems it was simple. When I used teflon tape around the front bearing of the Dz to make it tighter in the nose ring and hold the engine better I caused the engine vibration to be transmitted to the airframe through the nose ring. The fuse was a virtual sounding board which amplified all the engine noise. This created very tiny bubbles and ran up the noise level.I watched the tank while running at high speed and it looked like a fish frenzy in the water,the fuel  jumping up and down.
 I took the tape off the front bearing housing, the nose ring is loose, the fuel is calmer and my friend can't see tiny bubbles anymore,and the engine has that calm muffled sound again.
Seems like I heard of this before.I will have a loose nose ring from now on.

 More war stories.
Jim Ivey