2 vs 3 blade props

David Lockhart DaveL322 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 11 16:31:01 AKDT 2004

Wayne,

You've hit on a couple of the big factors - mixture and pipe length.  With a
2C , the prop that works best is often the prop that the engine is best
tuned for.  Same thing goes for the 4C - but the current 4Cs are pretty
tolerant of prop/mixture changes so long as the overall load of the prop is
similar.

In very general terms, given all other things equal (RPM, blade shape,
airfoil), a 3 blade (or 4 blade) that is equivalent to a 2 blade (3 blade
having a reduced diameter) will have a slower downline and less unload -
less unload is part of what makes the speed easier to manage.  It will also
be quieter (reduced tip speed) and not pull quite as hard in verticals (less
diameter is less efficient).

Regards,

Dave