OS pipes

gene.maurice at comcast.net gene.maurice at comcast.net
Fri Aug 6 08:02:00 AKDT 2004

I'm sure that others will comment but here's my setup.
OS 160FX, Perry Pump, fuel tank on CG, Karl Mueller header, MAC's 1092 pipe (15 - 20 cc FAI Quiet Pipe), pipe lengthened about 200 - 300 RPM off peak, 15% Magnum fuel, OS F plug, 17x12 std. 2 blade APC, Sealed SS Bearings.
This setup needs to run close to peak lean otherwise it will load up and go rich in flight. Turns 8200 -8400 RPM OTG and is an absolute stump puller in the air. Fair braking on the down lines, I'm sure it's not as good as a 3 blade prop but the 17x12's are a LOT cheaper!!
I have this setup in two different planes, and Entropy and an Aries. In both cases the engines run great and so far have been trouble free.

--
Gene Maurice
AMA 3408 NSRCA 877
gene.maurice at comcast.net

Would someone send me a chart detailing the different pipe options that I could use with an OS 140 and 160? For instance -
Manufacturer Model Cost Weight
Grieves
MAC
OS
etc ...
I have a Focus II coming and need to order an engine. Does anyone know where I can find one? I understand that the retailers are out of stock. Also, of the various props, 17X12, 16X14, 3 bladed, etc., which one gives the best downline braking? Last question is about the header options, what are the costs and sizes of the various ones on the market. When I ran the OS 140 in 1997 I used a Mac header with an extension tube and a MAC tuned piped But if I recall correctly it was a .20 size pipe to simply act as a muffler. I detuned the engine so that it turned an APC 16X13N at 8100. Even that was a bit fast for the plane, a Steve Stricker Excalibur II, which was a big plane at the time. All help is appreciated.
Thanks, Rich