2-Cycle prop selection

Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com Jim_Woodward at beaerospace.com
Wed Aug 4 06:15:58 AKDT 2004

Hi All,

I'm going to branch off a little from the OS160 setup thread because it
brings up some good points.  Here are some of my thoughts on prop
selection.  With the total power available with the 2-cycles, you do not
necessarily need to use the prop that gives the
most-ridiculous-ultmate-power.  In fact too easily, the horizontal &
vertical speeds can just look ridiculous fast.  Unlimited power is easily
achievable given a variety of setups.
1.  The power "setup" or "delivery" is what we should really be after here
as the main goal.
2.  The overall speed envelope is critical to achieve a consistent looking
pattern flight to flight, day-to-day.

Setup:  Throttle servo:  start with the throttle servo in the 1/2 stick
position with a medium or long servo arm.  On the carb, I use the longest
position available on the arm.  Adjust the pushrod to ensure the throttle
barrel is 1/2 or a little less open when the throttle servo is at 1/2
throttle.  I use ball-links to ensure positive control of the throttle
arm/servo connection.  Use the throttle ATV to adjust the high and low
points.  You may have low ATV numbers, but I don't think this is
necessarily bad.  The longer servo arm will make for more linear movement
of the throttle pushrod.  (this will affect the Throttle curve later).

Throttle curve: This is speed-maneagements best friend!  Lean to use this
function.  You do not want a power setup where the engine is producing 75%
of the power when the throttle stick is at 1/2 position.  Once the engine
is adjusted to run well in the midrange and top end, use the throttle
curve to adjust the engine rpm in the range you normally fly.  This is the
easiest way to slow the plane down for horizontal lines, if you are
uncomfortable flying maneuvers with the throttle stick in the 1/4 stick
range.  I find that I need a steeper line in the beginning to have prop
wash over the rudder for stall turns, then a flatter section for a while,
then a steeper section so that the power comes on and off during the last
3-4 throttle stick positions.  I find I'm more comfortable flying at
around 5/8" to 3/4" throttle stick position, so I use the curve to adjust
the power available at that setting.  You can do this with any engine
(even the YS need a throttle curve).  What we are talking about here is
tailoring the speed of the plane to the position you are comfortable
flying throttle stick in.

Prop:  Of course, the prop has a huge impact on overall speed.  The prop
and throttle curve go hand-in-hand to control the speed of the plane.  I
do not want a large speed envelope "gap" between low throttle speed,
horizontal maneuver speed, and full throttle speed.  Nor do I want a prop
that exaggerates the velocity of the plane or any on-off-pipe issues.
Generally, I think more diameter and less pitch is the way to go (but
that's just me).  Nor do I want to run a prop that 'overloads' the engine
just to make it slow down.  I want to run a prop that is easy on the
engine, has good breaking, and has good acceleration after the upline
snap.  Use the throttle curve to adjust where the power comes on/off to
suit your flying style.

In 25 words or less: 1.  use the throttle curve, 2. don't run a prop which
allows the plane to really accelerate away from you or has a large
velocity gap. IMHO.
Thanks,
Jim W.