Webra SS rear bearing

Keith Black tkeithb at comcast.net
Tue Apr 27 08:34:13 AKDT 2004

OK Jerry, with a comment like that you're going to get a follow-up question
from someone! ;-)

What exactly do you consider "reasonable care"? I've been flying
Webras/Bullys (1.45) for the last year and have about 180 flights split
between three different engines (most on the primary engine) and I have yet
to get more than about 50-60 flights before needing to change bearings,
sometimes as few as 30. In fact on one brand new engine the bearings
disentigrated and shrapneled the engine after about 30 flights, and I used
after-run oil on every flight and ran it fairly rich (thanks to Horizon for
replacing the engine).

I've tried using after-run oil, not using after-run oil, I always running it
dry, and as far as I can tell there's not much difference.

I've noticed is that sometimes they start running poorly due to the bearings
becoming loose, in other words if you grab the prop tips and wiggle it front
to back there will be movement. When this gets too bad the engine won't run
as reliably (won't hold a low idle, mid to high transision gets bad, etc.).
In this case when I examine the bearings there may be some rust on the
outside bearing case, but mainly it's just discolored due to running.

Don't get me wrong, I've been an advocate of the Webra/Bully engines. Once
broken in and the bearings are in good shape they run great (especially for
the price). I just can't seem to get the bearings to last.

Thanks,
Keith Black