sound meter

Ed White edvwhite at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 26 14:28:50 AKDT 2004

Actually 3dB is double the sound POWER level.  It is a factor of square root of 2 (1.41x) on sound pressure level (SPL), which is what a sound meter typically measures.  The lowest limit of a difference in sound level that the human ear can detect is usually taken to be about 1 dB (1.12x on SPL), and that is under ideal conditions where one sound comes right after the other.

Where you first listen to one engine, stop it, take the time to move it out and bring in another airplane and start another engine with different frequency content etc. - not being able to discern a 3 dB difference in SPL is not unexpected.  That doesn't mean you can't hear a difference.  The human ear is incredibly sensitive to tiny changes in pitch (frequency content).  But for quantitative assessment of sound amplitude its pretty pathetic.  Differences in frequency content and duration change the perceived sound amplitude, called loudness as opposed to sound level.

I agree it would be nice to have a low cost calibrator, but for the same reasons low cost sound meters aren't real accurate, low cost calibrators wouldn't be any better.

Ed

John Ferrell <johnferrell at earthlink.net> wrote:
As the Site Director at Worlds in Pensecola, I watched the noise checks very
carefully. There was at least one instance where my ears could not percieve
the difference between 94 and 97 db. Of course that is irrelevant since I
got my hearing aids last year...

It would be nice to have an affordable calibration device for the RS meters.
They work well as comparison devices.

John Ferrell
http://DixieNC.US