sound meter

ed.schummer ed.schummer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 25 09:00:57 AKDT 2004

Couldn't agree more.  Most of these meters work pretty well when measuring
relative levels of pink noise, such as in calibrating control room levels to
a SMPTE standard, or such.  The problem comes up when there is a dominant
frequency that is much louder than the others, as often occurs with our
planes.  We once tested a bunch of these meters, and although on average
they were pretty good, I have seen as much as 6 dB difference from one meter
to another at single frequencies, both meters calibrated to the same level
with pink noise....

Ed