sound meter

Ed White edvwhite at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 04:22:54 AKDT 2004

At work I have access to a large acoustics test lab
and borrowed a portable calibrator.  My RS sound meter
was off up to + AND - 3 dB.  It varied considerably
with frequency.  At lower frequencies (<1 KHz) it read
low by 2-3 dB, at higher frequencies (>1 KHz) it read
high by 2-3 dB.  Pretty much varied all over the
place.

The message is don't get hung up on 95 dB vs. 96 dB.
The RS meter will give you a ballpark absolute value,
and as Earl said will give you decent relative
measurements.

Ed

http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash