Perry pump instructions

Woodward James R Civ 412 TW/DRP James.Woodward2 at edwards.af.mil
Wed Apr 21 09:27:11 AKDT 2004

Hi Paul,

Screw in, get more pressure, screw out, get less pressure.  I have used
these a lot and have some general thoughts.  First, run the highest pump
pressure you can adjust for good running with the carb.  Remote mount the
pump to the firewall away from the engine, or your pump will suffer a short
life.  Once you get it adjusted on the ground, fly it.  If the uplines sag,
you need more pump pressure.  All Perry Pumps are a little different.  If
you reach a point where the screw is all the way in, but still have
problems, remove the screw, elongate the spring 1/8", then reinstall (trick
to get more pump pressure).  The most life I had from a pump was in my
Olympian with ST2300 on Hyde mount, pump remote mounted.  I achieved about
200 flights before it went out.  On setups where the pump was mounted to a
engine backplate screw, I could not get 50 flights out of a pump.

Engine:  Set the high speed needle in a position where you "know" it should
be rich.  If you cannot adjust the engine to achieve a very rich condition,
you are simply not getting enough fuel (screw in).  You should have full
control over the needles when you get enough fuel/pump-pressure going to the
carb.

If you are still in a pinch, use a Cline regulator.  I have had good
experiences with the Cline, others have not.
Jim W.