A possible answer to lousy judging "Flash cards"

mike mueller mups1953 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 04:28:13 AKDT 2004

 I still have to say that the point I tried to bring out is being missed completely. We really need to see the judges scores. Lot's of ways to do it. Fingers are cheap and easy. It's not perfect but the down sides are really overshadowed by the potential upsides. I can see by the amount of resistance that the idea has brought on that most don't agree. I can only disagree with that. I'll say it again, we need a better way. There is no perfect way. The bottom line has to be that enough people see the need for change and want to try something new. If the consensus is that were not having a problem with judging than nothing will change. Either way I'm going to the contests this year and having a few beers with my buddy's. That's the best part. Have a great season. Mike

"Del K. Rykert" <drykert at localnet.com> wrote:I have used fingers and only problem I've had with that system is when you are asked what that is while you are judging the next maneuver. I put all my concentration in to the judging task and don't like being distracted with scribes questions. Then I have to ask him to repeat or wait depending on where the maneuver I'm judging is and then scores aren't recorded and I am not a mental recorder that can recall which maneuver I gave the 6 and then the 9. It is not fair to the contestant to not receive the score he was earned by the judge. The only other system I have found that works well is using a pad to write down the scores and hopefully the scribe can read my scribble and I don't overwrite my scores. It is better but not perfect. At least not perfect for me. When I have a knowledgeable scribe that is used to my system scores flow. When I have a warm body stuck in scribes chair the system breaks down no matter what the system is in some
 cases especially while judging FAI.
    Keep the thoughts flowing and something better might be created.

                         del
               NSRCA - 473