foam core question

Ron Van Putte vanputte at cox.net
Fri Apr 16 06:10:21 AKDT 2004

On Apr 16, 2004, at 8:15 AM, Gray E Fowler wrote:

> Mark
>
> The idea behind a rib at the end of the tube is simply to distribute
> the load of the wing.  Without the rib, there will be a stress riser
> right at the end of the tube. A violent maneuver such as a snap could
> easily buckle the balsa skin, since the foam has such low compression
> strength as does the balsa itself.  I am sure there are people flying
> without a rib but I would advise against it. When the wing tube is
> bonded to the wing root and the "false" rib it will carry all the
> load. Only the portion of the wing past the rib will then flex
> creating stress at the tube termination. This stress is either
> concentrated at the very end of the tube OR distributed over the
> surface area of the rib. Because the stiffest component of the wing
> will always carry the load (the tube) any kind of stiffening strips
> inside the rib are dead weight.

Let's ask Tony Stillman to respond about the importance if a properly
designed and installed wing tube support.  He lost a new Excellence a
year ago when the wing tube broke out through the wing skin.  He might
also comment about his satisfaction with the manufacturer/producer's
response to his comments to them about the failure.

Ron Van Putte