foam core question

Gray E Fowler gfowler at raytheon.com
Fri Apr 16 05:15:38 AKDT 2004

Mark

The idea behind a rib at the end of the tube is simply to distribute the
load of the wing.  Without the rib, there will be a stress riser right at
the end of the tube. A violent maneuver such as a snap could easily buckle
the balsa skin, since the foam has such low compression strength as does
the balsa itself.  I am sure there are people flying without a rib but I
would advise against it. When the wing tube is bonded to the wing root and
the "false" rib it will carry all the load. Only the portion of the wing
past the rib will then flex creating stress at the tube termination. This
stress is either concentrated at the very end of the tube OR distributed
over the surface area of the rib. Because the stiffest component of the
wing will always carry the load (the tube) any kind of stiffening strips
inside the rib are dead weight.

Gray Fowler
Principal Chemical Engineer
Composites Engineering